Help needed - Cave House
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
randelld
Labourer
Labourer

Help needed - Cave House

by randelld » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi all,
I've searched the forums but cannot find a solution to my particular problem.
I am working on a cave house with serious damp issues. Rain water was penetrating from above as the property was now sealed correctly from
above. I have since sealed it a couple of months ago and have had dehumidifiers in there since. The walls have no exterior, the house is carved into a hillside. The plaster in a few of the rooms is flaking badly and there is a lot of efflorescence coming through the plaster.
I've taken off a bit of the plaster to find that there is about an inch of plaster applied directly to the stone into which the rooms have been carved.
I am currently installing a heat exchange system to replace the air inside the property.
My problem is I need to remove the plaster in the affected areas but am a little stuck as to what to use to seal the rock face before re-plastering in order to stop the efflorescence from coming through and flaking the paint.
Any ideas appreciated

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:17 am

randelld,
I don't think you will have any success with a direct applied system, you will have to fit an air gap membrane system with drainage pump. Look at the projects under TANKING.
END

randelld
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in cave house

by randelld » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:48 am

Unfortunately that type of tanking is not really an option because:
The actual rooms are very small and arch shaped with curved ceilings.

The original construction was simply not done correctly and I would very much like to put it right for them.

Any other suggestions?

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:23 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:29 am