Help needed fitting garden spotlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
shamilt1
Labourer
Labourer

Help needed fitting garden spotlights

by shamilt1 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:34 am

I am planning to fit 10 mains spotlights (no transformer) in my garden. They take GU10 bulbs, 4 spots will have halogen bulbs and the other 6 colour changing led bulbs. I have an exterior light which is switched inside the house - I plan to get rid of this light and use the switch for the spots. I am a little unsure how to wire this up. Do I run a wire from the switch to the first light, then from the first to the second and continue like this terminating at the last light? Also is it safe to have this many spots linked together? Any help is much appreciated.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:16 am

shamilt1, become familiar with part p of building regs( projects pages under part p) before attempting this or get a suitable qualified electrician on board.
Are the colour chaging lights LED? as they will need a control unit.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Once again, this is not allowed under building regs Part P as a DIY job!
All work in gardens is notifiable to building control, even in your own garden.
Only a registered electrician can legally do this kind of install, unless you pay a fat fee to local authority for them to get someone to oversee your work.Please read 'PROJECTS' section.

shamilt1
Labourer
Labourer

by shamilt1 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:54 pm

This is not allowed!!! Even so, I am sure lots of people carry out work similar to this even if it isn't. Hell, I sometimes travel at 32mph in a 30 zone, so I am no stranger to living life on the edge :wink: . I just wanted a few pointers really. Can anyone give any constructive help please?

shamilt1
Labourer
Labourer

by shamilt1 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:38 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]shamilt1, become familiar with part p of building regs( projects pages under part p) before attempting this or get a suitable qualified electrician on board.
Are the colour chaging lights LED? as they will need a control unit.
KB[/quote]

Thanks kbrownie. Could I use solid colour LCD bulbs instead, without using a control unit? Does my description on how to wire it up sound accurate? I do plan to have a sparky to inspect my work when its done before the grand switch on, just to be sure!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:02 pm

You will not get anyone here to give you what you consider "constructive help" when that help results in you doing something unsafe or illegal.

If I told you it was OK to do 41 mph in a 30 limit and you won't get caught or if you did nothing would happen you'd think I was barmy 'cos you know what the real answer is.

Same with this. Blow yourself up by all means if you want, create an unsafe electrical system on your own in your garden if you want.

When people tell you this is not allowed thats what they mean.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am

shamilt1,
We understand your frustrations but you can't expect advise without being made aware of what the legal requirements are, because you need to know that your house insurance is likely to become invalid if an accident should arise due to a fault on the electrical installation and you could also end up in court for breaking the law.
Is that not constructive help, trying to avoid you getting in to trouble financially and legally.
You may also have a problem selling the house at a latter date without correct certs.
As I said, are they led lights, if so they need a controller which will mean down fusing circuit, you may also need to work out any voltage drop, depending on the length of this circuit, fiittings and accesories will need to be correct IP rating and cable will need to be suitable for enviroment.
KB

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:05 pm

[quote="shamilt1"]This is not allowed!!! Even so, I am sure lots of people carry out work similar to this even if it isn't. Hell, I sometimes travel at 32mph in a 30 zone, so I am no stranger to living life on the edge :wink: . I just wanted a few pointers really. Can anyone give any constructive help please?[/quote]

SHAMLIT1

I will give you a few pointers.
listen to Kbrownie and sparx advice.
as already stated , be aware of part p and get in part p electrician to advise b4 u start.

BLAKEY1963

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:58 pm

[quote="shamilt1"]

Thanks kbrownie. Could I use solid colour LCD bulbs instead, without using a control unit? Does my description on how to wire it up sound accurate? I do plan to have a sparky to inspect my work when its done before the grand switch on, just to be sure![/quote]

Depends on how the outside light is wired, you need to find out how the live is fed in. Could be at switch or maybe at light fitting.
As far the fitting and lamps have a look on Google "tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_External_Index/index.html" then links to garden/outdoor lighting may be helpful as far as using corrrect equipment and design.
KB

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 am