Help Needed Identifying Type of Damp in Daughters Bedroom
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gingerb
Labourer
Labourer

Help Needed Identifying Type of Damp in Daughters Bedroom

by gingerb » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:09 pm

I'm about to redecorate my daughter's bedroom but have notice some form of minor damp on one wall, can anyone give me any ideas as to what is causing the patches I have etc?

The wall in question is external/side of house, could this be some form bad guttering eg water hitting outside wall of house?

Identify Damp
Identify Damp

Fred c
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Help Needed Identifying Type of Damp in Daughters Bedroom

by Fred c » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:54 am

Hi I am afraid it is not pssible to know the cause of damp from a photograph.It would help to know the construction of the wall . Would there be a chimney breast on this wall ?

gingerb
Labourer
Labourer

by gingerb » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:42 am

Hi Fred,
The house early 1900's semi detached, the wall is brick to the left of the photo is the old chimney breast. The damp only seems to be on the left side wall next to the chimeny breast.

Fred c wrote:Hi I am afraid it is not pssible to know the cause of damp from a photograph.It would help to know the construction of the wall . Would there be a chimney breast on this wall ?

Fred c
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Fred c » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi again I have seen damp spotting similar to this, but only on a chimney breast caused by water entering chimey stack at high level and seeping down through loose fill and coming out through the breast. It is possible that you could have the same happen in a rubble stone wall but unlikey in a cavity wall. I think it unlikely that leaking gutters would cause the problem that you have because the damp seems just too high.(this is just my opinion)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:34 am