Help New Shower Not working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tony H
Labourer
Labourer

Help New Shower Not working

Post by Tony H » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi,

Just had my electrics rewired in house and my old power shower was connected to a new circuit and worked fine. 3 weeks later and I've just replaced whole bathroom suite and fitted new Triton 8.5kw shower, connected it upto the new wiring and mains water and nothing. Took the shower unit back to B&Q as presumed fault with switch. (Checked circuit both sided on connector block and there is power there but the unit will not switch on.)

Just fitted replacement shower and same thing happens, it will not even switch on.

The power light flickers for a second when on/off button pressed but that's about it.

Any ideas?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi your description is frightening so I hope you don't mean what you say!
You say first 'Power shower' then talk about 8.5kW 'Electric shower' a totally different animal!
I hope the first was a typo as if it was a power shower then it's only a tiny pump drawing a couple of Amps at most and would have been wired in 1.5/2.5mm2 cable whereas an 8.5kW electric shower draws 37A and would need at least a 6mm" cable!!!
Assuming both were electric showers of similar rating and wired as stated then it sound like a loose connection, possibly at the pull switch/wall switch isolator or at consumer unit.
One other thing, please tell me you are NOT using a 'neon test' screwdriver to check for power, they lie like a hairy egg! They will light up even if circuit breaker off due to 'pick up' from adjacent wiring.
Don't forget bathrooms are considered a 'special location' under building regs due to increased danger from electrics and water combined, be very carefull!

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:03 am

Well spotted Sparx, I had missed that. Assuming you have done everything correct! I think most showers have safety switches that will not allow them to switch on unless the water pressure is over a set amount. Since light flickers could it be not enough pressure for the new shower? I think about 15lbs per square inch while flowing. The Triton shower covers a number of models so you must read the instruction sheet for your model.

Tony H
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Tony H » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:27 am

Hi thanks for advice. I'll look at connections at isolator and consumer unit.

No not a typo. When the bathroom was rewired it was wired to the new 17th edition regs with sufficient size cable to cope with a 10.5kw shower as I knew I'd be changing from the old power shower that was fitted.

The water feed along with the rest of the bathroom is mains fed and the other items, bath sink and loo have amazing pressure therefore I cannot see the shower not having enough pressure.

I'll test out the wiring and let you know what happens

Tony H
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Tony H » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:48 am

Just checked wiring and the neutral in the isolator was not exactely what I'd call well connected.

Tightened up and all is well and shower working

Thanks

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:09 am