Help on few Electric Problems and Changing 16amp Fuse to 32amp
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jayjayz420
Labourer
Labourer

Help on few Electric Problems and Changing 16amp Fuse to 32amp

by Jayjayz420 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:34 pm

Hello, I have a 16amp fuse which I want to change or at least thinking of changing too a 32amp there’s currently no wires coming off it. Can I first wire a 4mm cable from a 16amp in case I do change to 32amp? Also I’m going to wire this to my shed. I’m going to wire up a few double sockets as a radial circuit from this fuse too my shed. I’m wondering if this is plausible using the 4mm on the 16amp incase I need to change too 32amp. As well as is it ok to wire say 5/6 double sockets onto a board in my shed as this shed workshop is going to be a music production area so will need a lot of plugs. Many thanks in advance. If there’s a qualified electrician I can talk too or someone who knows what they’re doing that I can personal message this would be ideal. Thank you .

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help on few Electric Problems and Changing 16amp Fuse to 32amp

by Mr White » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:46 pm

It is not as easy as you seem to think, I am sorry but as I told you last time

Mr White wrote:
Jayjayz420 wrote:was hoping I could find a qualified sparky to talk too

I can not see that happening via a public forum.
Some times a site visit is the best option, I believe this is one of those times.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 pm

As said the domestic wiring is not simple, however in the main we follow convention then test to see if it's within the limits.

I am not that good at maths, so I wrote myself a java script program to test if I am within limits, so to start with 4 mm cable is rated between 17.5 amp and 37 amp depending on installation method.

Volt drop also varies 12.8 mV/A/m to 10.3 mV/A/m but in the main we don't wire to limits, although as a SWA cable the 4 mm can take over 32A buried installation method 100 which it is likely to be valid for part of run down brings you down to 27A.

It is rare to use 32A on a domestic socket circuit, and because a consumer unit or new circuit needs notifying under part P to DIY a shed or garage normally one would limit the supply to 13A as the price sores if you need to notify.

Jayjayz420
Labourer
Labourer

by Jayjayz420 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 pm

This is going to be for a music production studio. So I’ll have music equipment. Can I make a radial circuit but on a wooden board? And I currently have 3 spare 16amp that I am going to wire down too the shed. Well only wire one down. But was thinking of changing it too a 32amp as I thought 16 may not be enough. Can I run a 4’mm cable from a 16amp fuse as I don’t see why I couldn’t use a large diameter wire as long as I don’t use a smaller one than 2.5mm if that makes senses

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:24 pm

You are clearly out of your depth with this, also music studios have to be very careful with the earth.
You need an electrician to do the job for you.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm