Help! patchy clay paint finish after second coat advice needed!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cei
Labourer
Labourer

Help! patchy clay paint finish after second coat advice needed!

by Cei » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi I've recently painted a bedroom with earthborn clay paint. We chose this paint as there is a lime paint on the wall and everything pointed to a clay paint for a good coverage. The first coat went on like a dream, i loved this paint was so easy to apply. But i put a second coating on one wall and it came up patchy. This wall is now a nightmare and I'm afraid to give the other walls a second coat because of this... i watered down the paint by about 15% and tried again it helped a little but not enough so sanded down the problem area then another coat but seams to be worse again.... I've run out of ideas. The wall looks perfect head on but as soon as you look side on it looks so patchy... would really appreciate some help. Thanks

thedoctor

Re: Help! patchy clay paint finish after second coat advice needed!

by thedoctor » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Usually this type of patchy finish is a result of parts of the wall drying out more quickly than others, usually due to differing thicknesses of plaster underneath or differing mixes on the wall.. A few diluted coats to seal the wall may work. Once all the wall "pores" are full, or sealed, then the paint should cover more evenly. Please do leat us know how you got on and by all means upload some images, it might help others a geat deal.

Cei
Labourer
Labourer

by Cei » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi thanks for your help, ill try post some pics tomorrow. I have already tried diluting the paint and sanding but to no avail... I talked to a technician from Earthborn and he recommended glazing the wall to seal it then trying another coat... hopefully this will work. Will let you know how i get on... thanks again x

APainter
Labourer
Labourer

by APainter » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:14 am

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this? We have exactly the same issue with our earthborn clay paint. We let the lime plaster dry for a month, moistened it before applying a myst coat, then painted 2 coats very carefully and it still looks very patchy, even when looking straight at it.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 pm