DIY Doctor

Main navigation

HELP Penetrating Damp dried out??

Postby PLeBallois » Tue May 06, 2008 8:14 pm


about 2 years ago we had out kitchen gutted and re-fitted......we left the guys to get on with it whilst we were in australia and told them we suspected damp on the one outside wall (victorian terrace built in 1894). we asked them to call us if there was an issue......when we got back, all was painted and finished, so we assumed no issue. :D ....then the paint started peeling and bubbling off the walls.....

We had 2 companies come out to look at it who both said we had penetrating damp in the wall (dpc in place). One company wanted to remove the kitchen, take off the plaster, fit a sheet, replaster and re-fit kitchen....the second guy who came said he had seen this before in Victorian houses as they used cheap brick on the lower level walls and we could solve it by applying a sealant to the outside of the wall and letting the bricks dry out......then re-paint.

It has been 'left' for nearly a year now - I cannot get the guys to come back and do a damp check as they are always too busy. So, my questions are:

1. Have we done the right thing so far?

2. How can I get someone to come and check the damp level without incurring a call out charge .......?

3. Who could confirm if I am safe to re-skim and paint the walls and finally finish my kitchen?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:14 pm


Simply Build It

Postby tucny » Wed May 14, 2008 8:51 pm

So, first of all you told the kitchen fitter that you suspected a damp patch on the wall and then they painted over it? Thats because they are kitchen fitters and not a damp experts! Did they really want to ring you in australia and wait around till you got back before suggesting what they could do before agreeing a price? unlikely.

The damp specialists you have approached both seem to give a valid explanation. The internal membrane method is likely to give you a longer term protection than external masonry spray treatments.

Finally, why would you want somebody to come out to your property and tell you what you should be doing without paying them for their expert advice? Think about it, who will come to your house for free? - someone who wants to take money from you no matter what, somebody whos time is not worth anything, somebody who does not need much money to pay their overheads. And who will you get? an unqualified one man band happy to take you for all youve got with no insurance for if things go wrong who may not even know what the problem is never mind how to fix it!

So, my advice is - your property is an investment, its something you want to look after. You want jobs to be done right and you dont want to worry about if things go wrong. Ask a qualified proffesional to inspect the problem. Pay them for their time and receive good honest advice. Then you are prepared and able to repair the problem properly.

Sorry if i sound harsh, its just you really do get what you pay for and trying to cut corners always leaves you worse off later down the line.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics