Help please, all wires to light switch are RED,
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jonesy
Labourer
Labourer

Help please, all wires to light switch are RED,

by jonesy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi, i am currently fitting a new kitchen in my house, and am also changing the light switches and light fittings too, but when i inspected the wires in the switch they are all red, there are black wires leading to the ceiling rose but not to the switch, also there doesn't appear to be an earth and the switches currently fitted are brass, i have checked all the switches in the house and they are all the same,any advice would be greatly appreciated, also as there is no earth does that restrict me to the type of lights i can fit, thanks.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Help please, all wires to light switch are RED,

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:37 am

[quote="jonesy"]Hi, i am currently fitting a new kitchen in my house, and am also changing the light switches and light fittings too, but when i inspected the wires in the switch they are all red, there are black wires leading to the ceiling rose but not to the switch, also there doesn't appear to be an earth and the switches currently fitted are brass, i have checked all the switches in the house and they are all the same,any advice would be greatly appreciated, also as there is no earth does that restrict me to the type of lights i can fit, thanks.[/quote]

JONESY

A dangerous situation could arise from fitting class 1 equipment
( metal accessories ) with no earth. A live conductor to metal
work would cause a fatal shock risk.
Apart from the part p ( which i assume u have notified if wiring of new circuits is taking place ) for your new kitchen , u possibly have dated wiring.
U need to get in an electrcian immeadiatly to advise u ON this
because a rewire COULD be required.
the restiction of lights also would be double insulated variety
( a box within a box symbol ) , that has no
metalwork present in construction.

BLAKEY1963

jonesy
Labourer
Labourer

by jonesy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:03 am

Cheers for your advice i will do as you suggest and call in an electrician to check it out, once again thanks.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:46 pm