Help Please : Deepening an electric socket back box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sj007
Labourer
Labourer

Help Please : Deepening an electric socket back box

by sj007 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:14 pm

All,
Hopefully somebody will be provide me with some advice with an issue I have.

I'm in the process of replacing all of the electric double gang plug sockets with new ones which are flat plates. Unfortunately when fitting them, due to the wiring etc that sits in the electric back box, the faceplate petrudes by a few milimetres. My solution therefore is to remove the front plate, remove the back box, and grind/sand the baton that it's attached to behind to gain an extra few milimetres, to make the back box sit deeper into the wall.

The issue I have is with the method to grind/sand the wooden baton behind. I was thinking that an angled sanding drum attached to an electric drill might do the trick? I know it'll be a bit fiddly but due to the limited space I'll be working in, it's the best solution I can come up with.....unless of course anybody could kindly provide a better idea??

Thanks in advance for any help offered,

Sanj

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help Please : Deepening an electric socket back box

by ericmark » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 pm

There is a tool to make holes for back boxes but I would think it's more down to good work with a chisel. Not sure how took would work with wood. I would look at guard plates which may give you the extra mm required without sinking back box.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:02 am