help please
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thaiboxer100
Labourer
Labourer

help please

Post by thaiboxer100 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:35 pm

hello all, im have recently quallified as a domestic installer. today i fitted a spur from a ring in an upstairs bedroom in a house. this evening the customer has called to say that the outside security lights have stopped working and also the shower has stopped working aswell! i dont understand why as i didnt touch these circuits except for turning off the main switch and all the mcb's to isolate the circuit i was working on. i am going back in the morning to try to find out what has happened. is there anyone on here who can point me in the right direction please
many thanks
paul

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: help please

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:30 am

[quote="thaiboxer100"]hello all, im have recently quallified as a domestic installer. today i fitted a spur from a ring in an upstairs bedroom in a house. this evening the customer has called to say that the outside security lights have stopped working and also the shower has stopped working aswell! i dont understand why as i didnt touch these circuits except for turning off the main switch and all the mcb's to isolate the circuit i was working on. i am going back in the morning to try to find out what has happened. is there anyone on here who can point me in the right direction please
many thanks
paul[/quote]

PAUL
If as u say all u did was work on upstairs ring main , then as u
know , the faults with the other items could have already been
. there.
THE only thing before going back , was it possible , to have
accidently disturbed the wiring for these circuits when , u were
instaling yours . also ,
did you leave anything out at the mains , circuit neutrals for eg
R mcbs for the other circuits in working order.
was the light on the ring main u worked on , if so check for
causing accidental loose connections.
the shower was not worked on so ( going by info u give us ) ,
that is a separate fault.
somtimes things fail and they r out of our control.

BLAKEY1963

thaiboxer100
Labourer
Labourer

Post by thaiboxer100 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:05 am

Hi blackey1963 ,thank you for your help it was greatly appreciated. ive just got back from the customers. the fault was caused by 2 dodgy connections on the consumer unit. niether were anything to do with the spur i added. after a little fault finding with the avi i noticed that the mcbs were loose and the connection screws on the bussbar were nearly out on the other circuits! so after tightning all of them and checking the system everything was working ok. its been a good and invaluable experiance for me.

thats again
paul

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 pm

[quote="thaiboxer100"]Hi blackey1963 ,thank you for your help it was greatly appreciated. ive just got back from the customers. the fault was caused by 2 dodgy connections on the consumer unit. niether were anything to do with the spur i added. after a little fault finding with the avi i noticed that the mcbs were loose and the connection screws on the bussbar were nearly out on the other circuits! so after tightning all of them and checking the system everything was working ok. its been a good and invaluable experiance for me.

thats again
paul[/quote]

Paul

GOOD O progress was made.

BLAKEY1063

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:14 am