Help Replacing Extractor Fan and Light Unit Combined
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bajaffern
Labourer
Labourer

Help Replacing Extractor Fan and Light Unit Combined

by Bajaffern » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:24 pm

How do identify a double pole switch?
I just replaced my pull cord switch that switches on the fan and the extractor fan together. The fan has a timer that switches off after 3 minutes of the light being switched off.
After replacing the switch, i noticed that when the light is switched on, the fan starts up but its very slow and hardly rotating but as soon as the light is switched off, the fan rotates faster (normal). My guess is that its probably due to the new switch not having enough amps to rotate the fan when the light is on.
The old switch said MAX16A and the one I purchased is 6A (One way)
Do i need to find a 16A switch and does it need to be double pole?
Or is there something else Im missing?
The wiring on the new switch is done exactly the same way as it was on the old one.
Brown and red wire in COM port and yellow/green and blue wire in L1.
Thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help Replacing Combined Light and Extractor Fan Pull Cord

by Mr White » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:55 pm

The Amp rating of a switch is how much current (Amps) the switch can safely control.

Please post a picture of what you have actually done.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help Replacing Combined Light and Extractor Fan Pull Cord

by ericmark » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:48 am

[quote="Bajaffern"]How do identify a double pole switch?
I just replaced my pull cord switch that switches on the fan and the extractor fan together. The fan has a timer that switches off after 3 minutes of the light being switched off.
After replacing the switch, i noticed that when the light is switched on, the fan starts up but its very slow and hardly rotating but as soon as the light is switched off, the fan rotates faster (normal). My guess is that its probably due to the new switch not having enough amps to rotate the fan when the light is on.
The old switch said MAX16A and the one I purchased is 6A (One way)
Do i need to find a 16A switch and does it need to be double pole?
Or is there something else Im missing?
The wiring on the new switch is done exactly the same way as it was on the old one.
Brown and red wire in COM port and yellow/green and blue wire in L1.
Thanks[/quote]
You really should not hijack a 4 year old post, you should have started a new one.

However it is not normal to connect a yellow/green to anything but earth, I would suspect it was not wired that way to start with.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:21 am