DIY Doctor

Help - smoother walls needed but I dont want to replaster!

Postby bombus » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Two walls in my bathroom are in need of renovation. This does involve some filling of holes (which is no problem) but as the house is old the walls have many layers of paint on them. The paint has come off the wall to different depths in different areas, so I can't simply repaint them as the different depths show through (even though the differences in depth are less than 1/2 millimetre). I have tried removing the paint with strippers, but this seems to make matters worse as the end result is rougher!

Is there a product - like a very thick paint or skim, that I can paint on to get a smooth finish? I am trying to avoid replastering the walls if at all possible.

I saw some product in B&Q that needed a plasic skimmer to put on the wall, but it seems just like plastering to me so I was hoping for something 'paintable'.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Any help much appreciated.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:20 pm


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby thepainterman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:06 am

There is no such product,nothing paintable will level walls.
We skim with easifill ,2 coats,light sand between coats then hang a 1000 grade lining paper on,never had any problems.

If your walls are really bad then re-plastering is the only option.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:51 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics