HELP - Split Feed Consumer Unit ?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bilabonic
Labourer
Labourer

HELP - Split Feed Consumer Unit ?

by bilabonic » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:10 am

Hi
Looking to replace existing board and have purchased a split feed one. The only thing is that the main isolator/rcd are 'next' to each other. I would off expected it to be as below -

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/romanski/Consumer1.jpg[/IMG]

Thus the feed from RCD non protected side would be possible by inserting solid teethed bar into main isolator D along WITH cable G. These mcb's supllied of this side going back to neutral bar A.

The RCD protected side mcbs then connected to rcd E with neytrals going to B

The board i have has no gap between main isolator and RCD with cable G being short thus preventing no adjustment...

What are my option ?

Shall i just feed everything off the rcd protected side or purchase cable and move the rcd to the right ?

Or am i totally wrong ?

Thanks.

Kristof
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Kristof » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:16 pm

Changing consumer units as DIY job is definitely not advisable. Do you know safe isolating procedures? Can you perform necessary tests to verify earthing before you switch power on the new unit? Also Your electricity supplier will not be happy if you blow high resistance fuse (very expensive) and re-sealing your el.meter is another matter. Whatever you do, be careful. Lights shouldn't be on RCD side, also Kitchen/ring main unless of course you go out to garden through your kitchen door and sockets or any, are likely to supply outdoor equipment.

bilabonic
Labourer
Labourer

by bilabonic » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:39 pm

All sorted, put up/dowm lights on non rcd, all rest on rcd protected. The unit was not supplied with length of 16mm cable to space rcd from main isolator.

Cheers.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:23 am