DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Help what wall paper where condensation has been a problem?

Postby ptums » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:18 pm

I have a bedroom in a 1920's house which has a north facing wall. It has been very prone to condensation mould at the lower edge just above the skirting board. I've stripped the heavy vinyl wall paper off the wall ( some of the backing of the paper was very wet and have washed the wall down with mould killer.

I need to re decorate the wall but what should I use? I don't know whether a heavy vinyl paper is best or if a normal wallpaper which may be a bit more breathable is the better option. Another option is lining the walls and then painting the paper?

The room is now being ventilated more and has a low constant heat, i'll also use a demudifier when necessary. Hopefully this should prevent soem of the problem in the future.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:59 am


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:11 pm

if you've addressed the damp issue then it shouldn't really matter - use whatever you want.

similarly if you haven't addressed the problem then choice of wallcovering won't really matter either - all will be damaged to some extent by damp and mould.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:14 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics