Help with back boiler parts required!!!!
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Googley
Labourer
Labourer

Help with back boiler parts required!!!!

by Googley » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:46 am

Before I get 100 emails I have a house where there is not considered a suitable place to site a new boiler so we have to keep going on the old back boiler system - yes it is allowed under the regulations.

I have a Glowworm Galaxie 246N back boiler and need to get a new ignition for it. Firstly I am unsure what is the correct name for such a part and secondly how do I go about finding one - or what do I replace it with????

The part is the one that clicks and has a spring in it to produce the spark. Its about 7 cms long and 1 cm thick enclosed in a metal box type frame.

It has a metal piece sticking out that 2 screw holes go in to attach it.

Can anyone please help me with this problem?

Thanks

trainefficient
Apprentice
Apprentice

by trainefficient » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 am

Yes this boiler was manufactured in 1986, you will find it very hard or impossible to find parts. What you could do is call Glowworm on 01773 828300 and ask to be put through to literature. They can send you a copy of the user/servicing manual with the correct terminolagy. Due the boilers age you should get it checked by a Registered Gas Engineer.

Is there no space in the loft to put a new boiler or in a compartment cupboard with the flue vertical through the roof?

Googley
Labourer
Labourer

by Googley » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:26 pm

trainefficient wrote:Yes this boiler was manufactured in 1986, you will find it very hard or impossible to find parts. What you could do is call Glowworm on 01773 828300 and ask to be put through to literature. They can send you a copy of the user/servicing manual with the correct terminolagy. Due the boilers age you should get it checked by a Registered Gas Engineer.

Is there no space in the loft to put a new boiler or in a compartment cupboard with the flue vertical through the roof?

A few years ago I was entitled to a Warm Front Grant to replace the back boiler with a new modern boiler. There was a major issue over where to put the boiler - Warm Front said in my baby's bedroom over her head!!!! I said in the covered entrance way or in the loft but they said no to both of them as not suitable - I couldnt quite figure out why and tried to appeal but they wouldnt change their minds. Actually think it was too much work for them and they didnt want it under a grant!!!! 6 months later they sent the new radiators which I sent back unless they put the boiler where I wanted it - WHO INSTALLS A BOILER ABOVE A BABYS HEAD IN A BOX ROOM?????????

Now I am no longer entitled to a grant and cant afford a new system for another year or two. The fire and boiler are serviced each year.
It is the IGNITION SWITCH that I need or a compatible one, anyone got an old fire hanging around???

Thanks

Googley
Labourer
Labourer

by Googley » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Sorry its the SPARK GENERATOR that I actually need, looked at the wrong page in my note book.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:20 am