Help with Basic Steps of Starting Built in Wardrobe
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

Jdeeney
Labourer
Labourer

Help with Basic Steps of Starting Built in Wardrobe

by Jdeeney » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi all, So as the title suggests I'm soon going to be making a built in wardrobe into the largest alcove of our bedroom for obvious space reasons, and am after some advice on a couple of steps before getting started please.

So I was planning on splitting the wardrobe in half (half each for me and the wife), so was going to make a timber frame out of some 3x2 cls; 2 uprights either side, 1 in the middle as a divider, and 2 cross sections at top and bottom. Does that sound right and any tips constructing/securing? Secondly I was planning on using a piece of 18mm mdf from floor to ceiling to divide it, and was wondering the best way to secure it? First thought was say 6-8 chunky corner brackets all the way down each side fixed to the wall and mdf, would this be sufficient or not enough? Other than that, each section will be organised as 1 shelf at the top, 2 rails coming down then a section of shelfs sized for ikea boxes etc, fixed but drilling battons to each side then mdf shelf on top and screwed in? Just looking for hints and tips to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible and make sure I'm on the right track? Thanks all, sorry for the long winded post, hope I get explained it clear enough, cheers again

It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:25 am