DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Help with Flooring

Postby stuartucw » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi All

I currently have builders repairing a house i've bought. The kitchen area is 40m2 and has an unlevel concerte floor with some damp in one corner. I wish to lay solid wood flooring on it but am unsure of what i need to do in terms of leveling and underlay. i have been told to use some kind of latex first but would like some advice and opinions on which :D products to use to allow me to lay the flooring.

Many thanks

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:28 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Tall Tone » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:04 am

Hi Stuart
You will need a Levelling compound (a latex version is fine) to solve the levelling of the floor and a Two component Epoxy Damp Proof Membrane to solve the damp.
There are 100 variations of these from different manufacturers. Stick with the big manufacturers like F Ball, Laybond, Ardex or Bona and you won't go far wrong.
Check the manufacturers specification guides because some recommend DPM first and levelling second, some are the other way around.
Some modern adhesives like Bona R850 will stick your wood direct to the DPM if you put the DPM ontop of the levelling compound.
Hope this helps
Tall Tone
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics