Information, help and advice on all areas of landscaping and land design

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glider26
Labourer
Labourer

Help with front garden path, steps and retaining structure

by glider26 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Hi,

Below are a pic of the steps in our front garden, leading to the house, as well as a drawing of how I would like to completely redo our front garden. Let me explain. I'd like to replace the 4 steps with (starting from the pavement) a flat section and then 4 steps of uniform rises and treads, as depicted in my drawing (see sideview on the right). To do this, as the steps start further into the slope I will have to build something to retain the soil on either side, to a max height of approx 450mm. Part of the reason that I want to redo the front is that I want no contact between the steps and the soil. This has always made it awkward for lawnmowing, and is unsightly. But I can't think of a retaining wall structure that wouldn't be unsightly... please help with suggestions.

IMG_7726small.jpg
IMG_7726small.jpg (100.67 KiB) Viewed 1937 times

front garden drawing 1.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help with front garden path, steps and retaining structure

by stoneyboy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi glider26
Suggest you increase the length of the tread of the steps to nearer 300mm - your drawing shows them being 150mm.
If you can build the side retaining walls with sloping courses to match the slope of the land the top can then be level with the slope making mowing a breeze..
Regards S

glider26
Labourer
Labourer

by glider26 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Thank you. Yes the doodle isn’t to scale, but I plan on making the treads a min width as you say.

Can you share a pic or a drawing of what you mean by “sloping courses”? And I assume you mean brick courses. Thanks again.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi glider26
Yes the brick courses should follow the slope - it won’t be easy!
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 am