Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bwgan
Labourer
Labourer

Help with garden drainage

by bwgan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:41 am

Hi guys,

I've got one or two problems with my garden.
We bought our house last year from two elderly people who haven't been around for a while and the garden was left to grow wild for a few years. The garden is on an incline and the plan is to cut everything down (which I've done and pulled out all the roots). My brother and I have started digging the land back to build a wall and then throw all the soil behind it. My problem is the earth at the bottom of the garden is fine, really loamy but at the top it is quite clayie. To make matters wores there is a large pond at the top. I've emptied the pond and found new homes for all its locals. Once I'd cleared all the cr@p out of the pond I found out to my dismay that there is no lining to the pond, just clay. I've staretd to dig a drainage ditch going length ways across the pond and have started to fill the pond in with the soil that I've dug out already. The problem is that the soil that I throw into pond is turning into thick gloopy mud. What can I do to stop this turning into some sort of quick sand pit that Tarzan would have to come and pull you out of???
[/img]

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Fri May 02, 2008 8:53 pm

ALLOW THE PROBLEM AREA TO DRAIN AND THEN TRY TO ASSESS WHETHER THE CLAY HAS BEEN IMPORTED INTO THE GARDEN TO CONSTRUCT THE POND ESPECIALLY.

IF CLAY DOES OVERLAY THE SOIL, THEN REMOVAL WILL BE THE ONLY SUREFIRE WAY OF SOLVING THE PROBLEM.

IF THE CLAY IS NATURAL THEN, IS THERE AN AREA IN YOUR GARDEN THAT DRAINS FREELY?

IF THERE IS, THEN DIG A TRENCH FROM THE WATERLOGGED AREA/POND ENSURING A SLIGHT FALL TO THIS FREE DRAINING AREA AND BACK FILL WITH CORSE GRAVEL ( A PERFORATED PIPE CAN BE BURIED WITHIN) OVERLAYED WITH A PERMIABLE MEMBRANE AND COVER WITH A LAYER OF SOIL, FINE GRAVEL AND CORSE SAND WELL MIXED TO PROVIDE A LAND DRAIN/SOAK AWAY.

REGARDS,

ALDA.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:26 pm