Help with Gas Cooker fitting - Currys man refused to install
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TheMakel
Labourer
Labourer

Help with Gas Cooker fitting - Currys man refused to install

Post by TheMakel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi all

My landlord recently ordered a new gas cooker for my property. It arrived, as scheduled, on Sunday morning. However, the Curry's provded installer refused to fit the cooker as he said that behind it there was a standard plastic waste water pipe running flush with the wall which could "get hot". He said it would need a 3-4 inch clearance behind the cooker to be safe, and that he wasn't happy to fit under those circumstances; he noted that he would "leave it there but not install it - someone else could do that". Bizarrely, he recommened that we purchase a "Stoves 500" instead as this would solve the issue.

This seems a little odd to me, as the old flat back gas cooker (the type with a grill pan raised above the hob) has been in the exact same position for 10+ years with no problems I was aware of. As for the "Stoves 500" I can't find anything particular about this type of cooker which would make any difference. Can you guys help?

I kind of got the sense that the installer couldn't be bothered, especially as he was in and out in less than five minutes, but when gas fitting is on the cards, I can't really argue...

Any help or insight much appreciated.

Craig

Read more: Google "diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=268132#ixzz1HKtuZFhK"

lofc
Apprentice
Apprentice

currys gas stove.

Post by lofc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:38 pm

If cooker can fit tight to back of wall then I assume the waste pipe is at low level & if that is the case then cooker will not be touching the waste pipe. I see no problem at all. Get on to Currys & tell them you want another fitter out to install cooker or they can have it back & you`ll buy one elsewhere. That generally works.
Good luck.
lofc.

lofc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lofc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Nearly forgot! Check cooker manual carefully for any mention of clearance distances. Generally you will find that a cooker needs clearance above, depending on what type of cooker it is as to how much clearance is required & it will only be around 5 - 10mm to the side.
Lofc.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:17 pm