HELP WITH IMMERSION HEATER
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jonesythecross
Labourer
Labourer

HELP WITH IMMERSION HEATER

Post by jonesythecross » Sun May 27, 2007 5:29 pm

I have a problem with my water heater. Basically, when I turn the water heater on, it trips the electric supply to the property. This probably means that there is an electrical short somewhere. The water tank has an external component which is where the power supply goes in. I think this is either the element, or some sort of external pump. The system is quite old and don't have the money to pay for a plumber to come and fix it so I'm gonna have a go myself.
Hopefully someone can help, thanks.
Stephen

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

Post by jondeau » Mon May 28, 2007 5:38 am

I presume that what you have is an immersion heater (round top, about 2" in diameter and 2" high)

Well the good news is, that they are not expensive, about £15......

The tricky bit is getting the old immersion heater out of the cylinder as they can become 'siezed up' over the years.

If the heater is fitted in the top of the cylinder you will need to drain a gallon or two of water out , if it's at the bottom of the cylinder you'll have to drain the whole thing before you can remove it...

An immersion heater box spanner is the most effective tool to get them out.........and a bit (or lot) of heat from a blowlamp will help if it doesn't want to move.

Make sure you remove all traces of the old jointing gasket from the heater boss before you fit the new heater (a new gasket comes with the heater)

Best of luck, JD.

jonesythecross
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jonesythecross » Mon May 28, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks very much for that. It's an old Hercal cylinder. How do they work as there is actually no power supply running to the cylinder itself, just the external component. I can't really understand it. :?: :(

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

Post by jondeau » Tue May 29, 2007 5:09 am

Well now you've confused me as well......

Do you have some sort of boiler or back boiler......?

There must be some sort of heat producing device somewhere...

...either that or you have inadvertently discovered a way to solve the worlds energy crisis...

JD.

jonesythecross
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jonesythecross » Tue May 29, 2007 10:58 am

Wel I would of thought that there should of been some sor of element goig inside the the tak but I can't see one. Nt unless that thing outside the tank is an external element??? :?

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

Post by jondeau » Tue May 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Well as far as I was aware Hercal was just a brand name of ordinary copper cylinders.

So something must be heating the water.......Immersion heater was the obvious thing......or it could be heated by a boiler of some sort.

You said 'it has an external component where the power supply goes in'

What size is this and where on the cylinder is it ?

Does the cylinder have an enamelled outer case ?

jonesythecross
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jonesythecross » Wed May 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi there, basically, big copper cylinder with lots of pipes going in/out of it and on one of those pipes is this external component. It's about a foot in height and 4inches diameter. I think this must heat the water before it goes into the tank. I'm confused!! :?

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

Post by jondeau » Wed May 30, 2007 7:03 pm

I've never come across such a heater as you describe, nor have I ever heard of a heater operating in that manner. I very much doubt that this thing is a heater.

Though quite what it is, is anyones guess.....anti scale gadget ??????

Which brings us back to square one............

You could try disconnecting the cable from this gadget and then see if the power trips out or not when you switch the water heater on.

I think I would also double check to make sure that no immersion heater is hidden under the lagging jacket on the cylinder......that still seems the most likely answer to me....

JD.

miyke
Labourer
Labourer

Post by miyke » Wed May 30, 2007 8:11 pm

wow this sounds fun , iam a carpenter but have been doing a lot of swating for plumbing , (dont claim to be a plummer) but ,,,could that be a heat exchande unit ?

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:53 am