Help with kitchen mixer tap mounting bracket
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gedge
Labourer
Labourer

Help with kitchen mixer tap mounting bracket

by gedge » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:48 pm

Hi, I'm attempting to replace my dripping and leaking twin lever monobloc kitchen mixer tap. Got a stuck valve on hot, a stripped allen screw on the cold handle, I figured I'd just go for a full replacement!

Before I go past the point of no return, could anyone explain how I get the mounting bracket off (see photos)? My best guess would be to somehow unscrew the long vertical bolt (pliers?) as I don't see any other way that barrel nut(?) is coming off.

Is there any good reason it might have been installed this way compared to one of those flat U-shaped brackets you just put a regular nut on? I don't currently feel confident replicating the current set up if I actually manage to take it apart!

In terms of a replacement, I see some taps have the single long bolt screwed into the base like my current one, others have a large hollow cylindrical bolt the tails go down through (where presumably the large nut then tightens up against the white plastic bracket?). Would either type be preferable for an easy replacement? Anything I need to consider?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_9329 copy.JPG
IMG_9326 copy.JPG

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help with kitchen mixer tap mounting bracket

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Hi gedge
Presumably there is no access to the top of the threaded stud so suggest you use two nuts (they’ll be 6 or 8 mm) lock these onto the bottom of the stud and see if you can undo it.
In terms of a replacement the ones with the C bracket are possibly easier to fit.
Regards S

gedge
Labourer
Labourer

by gedge » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:31 pm

Thanks for your advice stoneyboy. I've successfully replaced my kitchen tap and the leaking P trap too (the more urgent problem). First ever DIY plumbing success!

Your words 'access to the top' came back to me as I was wrestling with the double nut thing. Good job too as it was never coming off that way. A hex grub screw on the back (above the sink) got the whole top of the unit off revealing the main hex topped bolt on the tap base. Kept unscrewing until the barrel nut / hinge was all the way to the bottom then could swivel it and pull up through the sink hole.

I can see why this type of fitting is good as you can tighten from the top, just a shame none of the 'how to replace a tap' videos I watched covered it. Still, I went for the C bracket type replacement and with the aid of my first set of box spanners it was relatively easy!
Attachments
IMG_9340 copy.JPG

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:55 pm

Well done gedge, thanks for the update.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:45 am