Help With Replacing This LED Ceiling Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
phario
Labourer
Labourer

Help With Replacing This LED Ceiling Light

by phario » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:24 am

We're having some trouble with our LED ceiling lights. These are for a new build bought in 2016. In 2018 one of the ceiling lights failed (which was never replaced) and now in 2019 one started flickering quite badly.

We'd like to replace these bulbs, but have had trouble finding the replacement housings. The details written on the bulb are:

Code: Select all

JC94199
4000K CW 38deg Beam Non-Dimmable
Batch: 9706 5014
240 V 50 Hz 3W Max

Can someone advise on replacement bulbs we can use that are easily bought? We tried to search the item number but these do not see to be sold anymore.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help With Replacing This LED Ceiling Light

by ericmark » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:35 am

I don't think that lamp is designed to have a replacement bulb fitted, being sealed to IP65 clearly designed for use outside, and having ability to change a bulb would likely also let in water.

phario
Labourer
Labourer

by phario » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:34 pm

being sealed to IP65 clearly designed for use outside, and having ability to change a bulb would likely also let in water.

Uh...this is for an indoor kitchen...

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:39 pm

I shall endeavour to explain what ericmark is saying.

He is saying that as the light fittings have an IP rating of 65 (As shown in your picture) light fittings you have are designed for use in a wet/damp environment i.e. above a shower. The fact that you have them in your kitchen means who ever installed them must have got a "job lot" and fitted them everywhere, even though they need not have been IP65 rated.

As they are IP65 rated the lamp is probably sealed into the housing (To stop water getting in) so you have no choice but to change the whole fitting, but this time you can get down lights that are NOT IP65 rated and then add the lamp of your choice, and when the new lamps fail, you can just change the lamp like most of us do.

The IP rating is a rating system so you can see at a glance what environment something can or can not be used in. Most things have an IP rating, but its so low its not mentioned.

phario
Labourer
Labourer

by phario » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Ahh..i understand now.

What people seem to advise is for me to shun away from integrated leds and go with a simple downlighter with gu10 bulb that I can pick up for £10 or so at toolstation. Would you agree?

I assume it would be difficult to find a matching style but this would probably be better in the long run.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:54 pm

Thank you Mr White well explained.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:47 pm

My pleasure ericmark. And a merry Christmas to you.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 pm

phario wrote:go with a simple downlighter with gu10 bulb that I can pick up for £10 or so at toolstation. Would you agree?

I believe I already answered that question before you asked it.

Mr White wrote:this time you can get down lights that are NOT IP65 rated and then add the lamp of your choice, and when the new lamps fail, you can just change the lamp like most of us do.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:02 am