Help With Sloping Floor in Tenement Flat
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

kitkatwaddypack
Labourer
Labourer

Help With Sloping Floor in Tenement Flat

by kitkatwaddypack » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:44 pm

We have a one bedroom tenement flat. In the living room the floor slopes up towards one wall, on that wall there was a fireplace which was covered over when we moved in. The room next to the living room is the same, though it's not as noticeable. That room is a box room which used to be part of the kitchen. The kitchen also had a fireplace which was covered up and now has a stud wall in front of it. There is no noticeable slope in the kitchen, just the box room and the living room. Hall, bedroom and bathroom are all fine too.

Where do we begin in fixing this? I don't know how we didn't notice it when we viewed the flat! We only noticed it when we took up the carpet and tried to lay laminate. The home report said nothing about subsidence so I don't think it's that (at least I really hope it isn't!)

The flat is 114 years old and I know these flats have their quirks and uneven floors and walls but this is quite bad. If my dog leaves his ball on that side of the room it doesn't stay there!

I saw online somewhere that maybe the fireplace could have something to do with it? Who would be the best to get out to look at it?

It is currently Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:42 pm