Help With Wiring up Headboard Lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fraz800
Labourer
Labourer

Help With Wiring up Headboard Lights

by Fraz800 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Can i have some advice on how to wire up some overhead headboard lights in my bedroom, my only power source near the bed is a twin plug socket.

How would i go about connecting the lights into the power source at the twin plug socket.

Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help With Wiring up Headboard Lights

by ericmark » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:30 am

To have a plug/socket I assume you live in France where their wall units have holes for line and neutral and pin for earth, since I live in UK I can only guess what is done in France.

In the UK it depends on how much work your willing to put in? In my master bedroom I have three switches at the door, and two switches each side of the bed. From all three positions the main light can be switched on/off and the bed side spot lights for reading can be switched from appropriate side of the bed and the door. They are all powered from lighting circuit.

There are variations on this idea using RF switching to reduce wires required. I am about to fit a light switch in my mothers home which can have fixed times programmed in and be worked from PC or Phone.

Before the re-wire in mothers bedroom down stairs I had a pair of two way switches simply plugged in and a wall up lighter.

So step one is work out what you want, what you are prepared to do to get it, and the compromise which you feel is appropriate.

Rooms with twin beds are very different to single beds, With the latter the spot lamp is your friend, A spot light pod in the ceiling with a pull cord to switch it on/off can be all wired from the loft without any decoration required.

Using oval trunking you can temporary hide wires until ready to decorate next, however used that with mothers room and pulling off the trunking caused some holes in walls needing filling.

Even the twin socket can be swapped for a programmable one, I have a socket which switches on door alarms so we know if mother leaves the house, I can switch them on/off with phone, PC, or remote controls, plus timers, can even set it if I want to switch when phone is within a set distance from home or weather reports say the temperature will be under/over set limit.

With "if this then that" IFTTT then world is the limit.

I have never tried lights with PIR's in bed rooms, I have used a PIR as an alarm, and it was set to see feet, so when mother got out of bed alarm went off. There is no reason it should not switch on lights when you get out of bed.

So what do you actually want to do?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am