High pitch whistle from gas hotplate
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

High pitch whistle from gas hotplate

by Dadwood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Just taken delivery of a new free standing double oven gas cooker. The two most powerful burners on the hotplate emit a piercing whistle when turned at their lowest flame setting. The Corgi engineer said that this is sometimes due to incorrect gas pressure but this new cooker is not fitted with a gas pressure regulating device so there's nothing he can do. He checked that the burners and caps were all fitted correctly, and that there was no dirt or rubbish in the burners. Finally he made sure that the correct size jets were fitted. Are there any other likely causes of this problem apart from gas pressure? Could it be that the gas pressure downstream of my meter needs adjusting? Is the whistling likely to be caused by too low or too high gas pressure? Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 am

Hi Dad,

Did the fitter test the pressure at your meter with your cooker on?
If he didn't he has not done it correctly.

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for that. I phoned the Corgi engineer who said there was not much point checking the pressure with the cooker on because we also have gas central heating and a separate gas fire. He said that he would expect the pressure to vary depending on which of our gas users were on at any particular time. Does that make sense? Since it is a brand new cooker, I have also phoned the manufacturer's technical dept who said that I should put the complaint in an e-mail. I've done that but so far had no reply.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:34 am

He is talking the proverbial!!

AN RGI must check the working pressure of an appliance.
No matter which one is on the pressure should be same/similar.
Get a diff RGI :twisted:

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:48 pm

RGI came back and checked pressures at cooker. With no cooker burners ignited, pressure was 20.4 millibars. With two hotplate burners full on, pressure was 19.9 millibars. Those two whistling hotplates continue to sing regardless of whether no other burners are on, or if all are on including the oven and grille. Manufacturer has now responded and will send an engineer next week.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:34 am

RGI should have had 3 burners lit - you sure he knows what he's doing?

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:41 pm

The cooker maker's engineer came today and did all sorts of tests and checks. He eventually had to scratch his head and say that the whistle noise had him baffled. So he phoned his technical manager who said it sounded as if the jets may have been made incorrectly. The engineer will return in a few days with new jets. If the problem then still persists they want to replace all the internal pipes, valves and controls. I've said they can't do such an extensive repair on a brand new cooker. I want a new one! When I asked why they were proposing to carry out such a drastic repair, the engineer said that sometimes during the manufacturing process too much joint sealer is used. The excess partially blocks the pipes and fittings causing turbulence and noise. So, let's see if the new jets cure the problem. (I'm not too hopeful.) If they don't, they can send me a new cooker and take this one away.

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 pm

The cooker manufacturer's engineer arrived today and fitted the new jets. They made no difference; the whistle is still there and just as piercing. After he then discussed the problem with head office technical dept, they have decided to replace the cooker, but it can't be done for a fortnight. Oh well, they say that patience is a virtue!

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

by Dadwood » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:57 am

At long last the cooker has been replaced. The new one makes no whistling noises at all! Brilliant! The engineer said that this problem has everyone stumped, so he will let me know if they find anything untoward when the cooker is dismantled at the factory.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:13 pm