Highly glazed extension - building Regs
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mister H
Labourer
Labourer

Highly glazed extension - building Regs

by Mister H » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi - I'm looking to put an extension (not conservatory) on the rear of my house, with quite a high quantity of glazing in it. I know Part L gives a limit on the percentage of glazing to the new floor area, but am told I may be able to increase this by providing higher insulation in the new solid walls and roof.

I have no training in this area - is anyone able to advise how this is done?

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

by arbco » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:42 pm

There are various trade offs within Approved document L1B which initially suggest 25% of the floor area glazing and then any openings that are covered may be added to this.

The other option is averaging U values and increasing other elements as you suggest.

Your best option though will be a SAP rating of the whole house plus the proposed extension compared to the house plus an extension which complies. Look at SAP rating on the web for help in this area.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:44 am