Hinge locks inoperable?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
missionary
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hinge locks inoperable?

by missionary » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:28 pm

I have bought a house with 2XG windows that have side hinges near the top, and the bottom of the sash pushes out. A stupid design when all the weight is carried by the friction screws which eventually fail.

Anyway, originally these hinges had a semi-circular section stainless fillet sliding within the mechanism (about 8 ins long). Which act as a lock to prevent opening much further than about 4 ins at the bottom of the sash. Some are fixed as original, they stop the window opening too far but have a section covered in a red sticky label reading ' lift to break'.

But some of the windows have had this small section broken off and the lock can no longer be slid back up the mechanism to lock it. It appears the only solution would be to put a screw through them and into the frame at the appropriate height to make them function.

So how can I make them good please? The locks at the foot of the sash are not espag. I suppose I could fit the spring loaded security type catch that allows a small opening. But making the originals work again would be the obvious choice - but do I have one?

Cheers

mish

missionary
Apprentice
Apprentice

by missionary » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:37 pm

So 11 days on, 83 viewings and no comments.

Does this mean I am doomed to screwing rigid these damned sliding locks?

All comments appreciated, thanks.

mish

NWH
Labourer
Labourer

by NWH » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi you've probably already sorted this problem but just in case, or if anybody else is having the same problem, it sounds like you may need new restrictor friction stays

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:50 am