Hive TRVs and radiator in hallway (worth getting better)?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JennySuttie
Labourer
Labourer

Hive TRVs and radiator in hallway (worth getting better)?

by JennySuttie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 am

Hi, two fold question pls.
Got 10 Hive TRVs, apparently radiators with current non TRV valves need TRV valve before Hive TRV can be fitted. Stelrad radiators-how do I know which TRVs to have fitted before Hive’s?
Small K1 radiator in hall, leads to stairs in 3 level house. Hallway always feeding but we keep doors shut in rooms. For 1 hierarchy we have downstairs heating on before upstairs so lose heat. Then Hive being installed April. So is it daft to think of bigger and better radiator in hallway if Hive around rest of house? Not that radiator?
Thankyou!!!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Hive TRVs and radiator in hallway (worth getting better)?

by ericmark » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:00 pm

I wish my radiators were larger, but it depends on the boiler, with oil the boiler switches off/on (called mark/space) with gas it can switch off/on like oil, but most boilers today turn up/down called modulating.

The gas boiler needs to modulate to gain the latent heat, only turned off when all rooms satisfied, Hive uses an unusual method of demand for heat from the TRV heads and does not connect to boiler e-bus, most the others do.

But with large radiators even with oil you can set a sequence, so rooms are heated in the order used, so radiators could be 3 times the output of the boiler, but as to if worth changing I would not expect so.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1