DIY Doctor

Holes and notches in joists for cables

Postby phlerbert » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:06 am

Hi All,

I've got my ceiling ripped down and walls off for major kitchen back room refurb (1900 Vickyterrace).

I'm cabling up now for new kitchen, ready for electrician to connect to CU and final accessory connections.

I've read the docs article on notches and holes. However, previous 'professional' cowboys have been there before me and joists are peppered with all sorts of dodgy cable and pipe holes and notches.

Should I put my new holes just following regulations. Can some of the worst of the affected joints be stregthened?

Interested in others' thoughts on this,

Cheers

Phil
phlerbert
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Hi phlerbert
In theory your electrician should approve the installation methods used. Suggest you check he is ok with you using existing holes.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby phlerbert » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks SB,

yes, he's coming on site to check my planned cable runs. Always good to get a broader set of opinions.
phlerbert
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!