home electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TelJol
Labourer
Labourer

home electrics

by TelJol » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:25 pm

Hello all,
got a query regarding my electrics, I have a cable that is open ended at the moment and is waiting to recieve my under floor heating and leads back to my RCD board, If that one fuse is isolted at the board but the rest of the board is live would I still be getting a current in this cable? I know this seems a silly question????? thanks in advance!!!!!!! TelJol. :?[color=black][/color]

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:16 am

If the breaker/Fuse that is supplying that cable is removed or in the open position, there should be no current being offered to that cable via the CU.
You should always test the circuit is dead before you try anything though!
KB

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

Re: home electrics

by steve the plumber » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:28 pm

In theory yes, but I would always stick a block on any exposed wires and cover in insulation tape.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:34 pm

Hi, if the reason for asking is because a neon tester/voltmeter shows live it's probably due to induced voltage. Cables running together for a distance say leaving consumer unit can 'couple', there will be no real power there but is why it's recommended to put all 3 cores in 1 connector at load end until needed, likewise any unused cores in a multicore cable should be connected to earth not left 'floating',
regards Sparx

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:36 pm