DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Horizontal Crack In Wall In Property - Is This An Underpinning Job?

Postby Wolflore » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 am

Morning all,

We went to look at a property recently which ticked all the boxes for me on size, location, potential for expansion in the future. We had a look around and when we got in to the front room I noticed a crack. This was, as the agent put it, the issue. He led us out the front door and showed us the below. My suspicion is that the front steps have done this after a wet/dry two year combo, but I wanted to get the opinion of the seasoned vets and DIYers alike. Does this look from first glance like an underpinning job? Is it something we should walk away from?





Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:41 am


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:44 pm

get a structural engineer to inspect it, it will save you thousands in the long run, and if sell the property you can use the report as proof, a structural engineer is financially responsible for his report so his opinion counts, and you can tell the buyer to reduce the price to cover it
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics