Horrendous noise from roof underlay
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kh43355z
Labourer
Labourer

Horrendous noise from roof underlay

Post by Kh43355z » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:28 pm

Hello all, I am looking for some assistance in diagnosing a noise problem with my roof underlay on a new build house. The roof is unventilated with a lightweight vapour permeable membrane. Every time the wind gets up above around 20mph the felt flaps very loudly and this is very audible in our bedrooms. Needless to say it is affecting our sleep.

The roofers came back recently to tape all the laps but it made no difference. The Underlay seems to get sucked up against the tiles every time there is a gust of wind and it ruffles. The underlay is Prestige Supervent pro.

The only cause I can think of is that the underlay has been laid too loose. Is there any other reason it could make loud flapping noises in the wind?

The image shows one section of the underlay that looks loose. There are multiple areas like this and lots of loose flaps of material in the loft.

Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Horrendous noise from roof underlay

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi kh43355z
Suggest you have a look at how the felt has been finished at the edge of the tiles, there should be at least a strip of type 5u felt and possibly an eaves protector. If the Prestige Supervent has been taken down into the gutter it is probably this you can hear flapping.
Ultimately it is down to the developer to sort this out even if your house is NHBC registered.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:49 am