HORRIBLE SMELL FROM DRAINS
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cots11
Labourer
Labourer

HORRIBLE SMELL FROM DRAINS

by cots11 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice...

Everytime I flush my upstairs ensuite toilet or run water into the wash basin, I get a really horrible sewage smell downstairs in my kitchen which seems to waft up via the kitchen sink plug holes (I think!?) It's only just started happening and seems to be since my Dad replaced part of the waste pipe behind my dishwasher. I had a leak where the waste pipe from the dishwasher connected to the main waste pipe. My Dad resolved it by cutting out part of the main waste pipe and replaced it with what looks like a big upside down 'T' pipe with the dishwasher waste pipe feeding down into it (hopefully someone understands my description!). I wonder if this is a contributing factor and if anyone could advise how this could be resolved? The waste pipe from my washing machine is set up in the same way and it's never caused this problem so I'm a bit confused! :?

It may help to know that the toilet upstairs has a macerator unit.

Anyone who has any advice, please let me know. It will be gratefully received.

Thanks. :)

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:36 pm

I wouldn't imagine your kitchen, washing machine and dishwasher wastes would be connected to the toilet soil stack. If it is, then get it changed, if the drains back up you'll end up with faeces and excrement in your washing and on your dishes.

Could just be the smell of food stuff lying in the trap, take off traps and clean then, buy some bleach and pour down each waste this should clean the pipes and stop any smells

john60wales
Apprentice
Apprentice

by john60wales » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:08 pm

Hello there,
Did your Dad replace the trap? This bend in the pipework traps water & prevents smells from the drains. If you don't have a trap then there is nowt between you & your drains..
Cheers
John

cots11
Labourer
Labourer

by cots11 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:09 am

I had my kitchen refurbished a few months ago so it's all new pipework under the sink but I'll have my Dad take a look and see if perhaps it's something to do with this.

Thanks for all your responses so far!

:D

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:32 am