horrible smell of damp
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
june
Labourer
Labourer

horrible smell of damp

by june » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:47 am

My kitchen smells damp but there are no sings of any dampness on the tiles walls. However when i remove the 'kick boards' on the cupboards the smell is much stronger. I paid to have an inspection by a so called damp expert who said yes there is damp but could only suggest checking the pipes that go through the outside wall in case they are cracked. They are not.
Can anyone help the first inspection was expensive and did not help so I am reluctant to pay out for another inspection unless I can be sure they can find the problem.

Any ideas.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:47 am

Go to our project on DIY damp proof course installation and contact the company in there. They give free, no obligation advice over the telephone.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

horrible smell of damp

by Perry525 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:45 pm

A wall or floor can be happily damp for years without any particular smell.
The smell usually comes when damp is in contact with wood or similar.
Take a careful look at the bottom of your kitchen units, if they are damp/wet made from wood chip and have split and swollen, then possibly the fault is yours when washing the floor the water is running under the cupboards?
The next possibility a dripping tap or pipe, or water finding its way through or round the work surface.
Once we get beyond the most likely, then we need to know more about the location of the kitchen. Ground floor, outside garden, condition of walls and roof.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:09 pm