Hot tap Trickling when turned on
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
orrahj
Labourer
Labourer

Hot tap Trickling when turned on

Post by orrahj » Sun May 13, 2007 9:43 am

My kitchen hot water tap trickles when I turn it on so hardly any water come out? So it takes ages to fill the sink up. Someone said it is the body or valve that is the problem? Do you think is the problem and if so can I do it myself and how? Thanks :)

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sun May 13, 2007 4:42 pm

See our projects section on repairing taps. Identify your tap and then give it a service by replacing washers etc. You might also try our project on curing an air lock. Go to

orrahj
Labourer
Labourer

?

Post by orrahj » Sun May 13, 2007 5:02 pm

[quote="thedoctor"]See our projects section on repairing taps. Identify your tap and then give it a service by replacing washers etc. You might also try our project on curing an air lock.

www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

I'm sorry I am new to this site and I cannot find the projects section? Are you refering to the pluming forum? Can you perhaps provide a link to the repairing taps section?

Arnak
Tradesman
Tradesman

Problem Tap.

Post by Arnak » Sun May 13, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi,

The link you require is [url]https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/dripping_tap.htm[/url]

Although there is a bit more to the story than that.

I assume that the tap is the non lifting spindle type, as is the case for most modern taps.

In this type when the spindle is turned by the tap head the lower part of the spindle unscrews downwards in order to shut off the flow of water.

However when the washer gets very worn the extending part of the spindle can go down too far and drop out of the hexagonal recess, so that when you attempt to turn the tap on it will only turn a short distance.

If this is what has happened to you then dismantle the tap as shown in the diagram so that you can get at the spindle.

The lower part of the spindle with the washer should be screwed back as far as it can up the thread, (it's a left hand thread) before re-inserting the spindle. After of course fitting a new washer and o rings if required.

Align the spindle with the hexagon shape inside the body when re-inserting the spindle. Re-fit the clip and all should be well.

I hope that makes some sense, it should do when you have the tap dismantled.

Arnak

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:08 pm