Hot Tub Re-wire
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rich.demary
Labourer
Labourer

Hot Tub Re-wire

by rich.demary » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 am

I recently moved my hot tub that was built into my deck to replace the decking and put on a new roof. I moved the hot tub about 20 feet away from the prior location. The hot tub is a free standing tub and runs on 220v (50amp). Previously, the GFCI box was 5-6 feet away and is located on the exterior of my house. It is now time to re-wire the tub. I envision the project to include replacing the GFCI with a junction box, connecting the wires, burying the cable in a plastic conduit that will run under my deck, placing the GFCI in proximity to the hot tub, and reconnecting the hot tub connections. My question is: Is this a job a do-it-yourselfer can tackle or is it a job for a professional electrician only?
Last edited by rich.demary on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 am

We call the GFCI a RCD so I wonder where you are as rules change around the world?

In UK to do the work as DIY one need to pay local council building control a fee of £100 plus and as a result the saving could be a negative figure so although you can it would not be worth it.

I think down under there is total ban on DIY?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi as ERIC says GCFI _= RCD in UK presume this has come from US hot tub as mine has instructions ref GCFI on it.
All work out doors in UK is notifiable to Building control & requires test results which a DIYer can't do.
As to method I would leave the RCD in place at start of circuit to protect the whole outdoor cableing, there is no good reason to need it close by.
I guess by your mention of 220V not 230V plus GCFI not RCD you may be in USA using 2 phases @ 110V per phase. if so this question is out of place on this UK site.
regards Sparx

rich.demary
Labourer
Labourer

by rich.demary » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:25 pm

Sparx, you are correct: I am from the states and now realize I should move my question over to another site. Anyway, many thanks to you and Eric for answering.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:19 pm