hot water cylinder
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
m imran
Labourer
Labourer

hot water cylinder

by m imran » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:49 am

i have just bought an old farm house, an had to remove the rads to allow the walls to be plastered. thus draining the system. i,v fitted all the rads back again but cant fill the system back up. there is a water cylinder in the batroom upstairs with a water tank above it. there is also feed tank in the attic & a boiler down stairs in the kitchen & a separate water tank in the loft this tank when switched on gives hot water to the ensuite only. at the moment i have no hot water anywhere else in the house & no heating.
this is the first time i'v seen a system like this & desparetly need help. could any1 tell me what type of system this is? & how to remedy this problem. thanks

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:52 pm

That small tank above your hot water cylinder is the feed and expansion tank for the heating system.

I you have a close look at it, you will see there is a ball valve.

If there no water in this tank and its not filling or filled, you need to turn on the water for it using the isolator that is on the copper pipe going into the tank.

You need to put some inhibitor (£10-20) in the tank too has it is filling up with water.

Then bleed all the radiators using a radiator key.

Then you can turn the boiler back on.

If the tank is full before you start, let me know.

m imran
Labourer
Labourer

by m imran » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:23 pm

thank you for the advice peter. an may i wish you a happy new year.
the water tank is full. but the water is not passing into the radiators or anywhere for that matter. i,v opened the drain valve for the radiators but theres no water. any ideas? someone has mentioned to me that it may be a main feed blockage? if so how do i fix it? your advice much appreciated thank you.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 am