Hot Water only when Central Heating is running
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chris_J
Labourer
Labourer

Hot Water only when Central Heating is running

by Chris_J » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi everyone!

I've got an IconT 23T wall mounted combination boiler (rebadged Glow Worm I think) that was fitted to my property when I moved in. I believe it is about 2 years old.

The only thing I have modified on the system is relocate 2 radiators and remove one from the kitchen. Whilst doing this, I flushed the system and renewed the inhibitor.

After we moved in permanently, the boiler worked fine for the first week, but now the hot water system has stopped working properly. I have the boiler set to winter mode which is set on a timer to run the central heating first thing in the morning and in the evening.

Basically, the problem is the boiler will not fire up when there is a hot water demand. If the boiler has already fired itself up to heat the central heating system, then I switch a hot tap on, you can hear a little valve click in the system, and about 30 seconds later, I have piping hot water.

If I need hot water immeditaly, such as for a shower in the morning, I may get lucky if it is running. But if the boiler has already heated the rads up to temperature and is just circulating, I have to trick the boiler and switch it off and on again to get it to fire, then switch the shower on.

It's more of an inconvenience at the moment, but I can see it being a problem during the summer months when the central heating circuit is normally off.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance.
Chris.

Chris_J
Labourer
Labourer

by Chris_J » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:10 pm

Turns out this fault may be down to the diaphragm not doing its job.

Does anyone have any ideas whether this is a job worth attempting myself, or just paying a pro 1/2 hour or so labour?

The part should only cost around £24, but I'm not sure how involved the job is..?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1