All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kalel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hot water please

by Kalel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi, first post :D

I have a first floor flat with a cold + hot water storage tank (one above the other in a metal frame) this combo tank is located in a cupboard inside my bathroom.

Problem: (1) I need to turn on the immersion heater for the hot water tank when I want hot water. (2) Because the tank is the same level as my shower (mixer tap) I have almost no pressure what so ever. The shower head dribbles.

Solution: I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. This is approximately what I am looking for

1. Instant hot water when I open a tap or shower
2. Decent pressure

The hot water would need to feed the kitchen sink, bathroom basin and mixer shower tap.

Can I get a system that does away with the 2 tanks and basically heats and pressurises hot water around my flat that I can fit in the same cupboard? There is no outside wall to this cupboard. It does have 2 electric sockets in there.

Would I then be able to run all the cold taps including the mixer shower tap off the mains cold supply?

I appreciate there are a lot of questions. Any help is appreciated

Thank you

ps. my block does not have a gas supply and I already have wall mounted heaters for heating so do not need a combination bolier.

sam6won6
Labourer
Labourer

by sam6won6 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:50 pm

what you could purchase is the unvented water cyldiner and then as you said, just run the cold feed directley from the main supply. They are very heat efficent and perform alot better than combis and the normal hot water clinders. They would also be installed with pumps, (which is an option for the system you have now as they could be installed and would greatley increase the pressure for the shower)
If there is a fair distance between the cyldiner and the shower then instant hot water when you turn it on is not always possible because of the dead legs (long runs of pipe)

Kalel
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Kalel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:26 pm

The cupboard is in the bathroom next to the bath so the run would be a short one. I just hot water when i open a tap rather than heat a tank for ages to use it for a say 15 minutes for a shower? or 10 mins to do the dishes or 5 mins to wash my hands etc.

I am considering an electric boiler so would in theory get presuure and heat but only when i open a tap or start the shower (mixer tap). I cant seem to find one that only does water and not heating...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:08 pm