Hot Water seems to be continuosly on???
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glowboy
Labourer
Labourer

Post by glowboy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:32 am

Hi,

I have a suprima boiler, Tribune HE cylinder with electronic valve switches, a honeywell room thermostat and a sunvic programmer fitted circa 2006 in new build. I believe it is an indirect system. My query is this;-

Even when the heating and water are off, the boiler kicks in and lights. The heating switch remains closed but the electronic switch for the water side is continuously open ie flat. The heating side seems fine ie responding when programmed to and when thermostat asks.
I have tried programming the water side, but again the switch doesn't respond when the program turns off, when it is off however there has always been plenty of hot water.

I have heard you can link the water and CH, is this whats happening here and do i need to reset and programme again? I am a bit stuck and would appreciate any assistance.

Bit concerned as in the summer i want the CH off but still want hot water, how do i go about this?

Has anyone had any similar problems.

mattpark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mattpark » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:53 pm

My system does this too - you havent said what type of boiler it is but it sounds similar.
There are any systems and different ways these days and its difficult to diagnose - but -
It seems to me the boilerr still heats water even when the cylinder (for CH & HW) is swicthed off because thats its job and doesnt know the water its heating isnt required.
So if were away from home for long periods should we turn the boiler off ?

In the Summer if you turn your thermostat to zero the CH water will not be heated.
Do you have the product specifications ? Reading it may help a little !!!! Does the boiler need its annual service ? Quiz the servicer on how it works !!!

Silver_back90
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Silver_back90 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi, I'm not a Heating Engineer, but when you refer to ‘electronic valve switches’ do you mean motorised valves?
I believe the motorised valve(s) respond to a call for heat either from room or hot water cylinder thermostats. The valve will open allowing water from boiler to flow, the boiler senses the flow and fires up.
From what you are describing maybe the hot water valve is permantly open, meaning perhaps cylinder stat or motorised valve faulty?

glowboy
Labourer
Labourer

Post by glowboy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:50 am

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, and sorry yes i do mean motorised valves. I have had a good play with it, the motorised valve for the hot water side responds fine when i disconnect it, it is just when it is connected, is it possible it hasn't got enough power in it to shut valve?! I will have to get it checked out and dip my hand in my pocket.

The water thermostat is on around 60 degrees, yes the problem is basically the water valve is permanently open and doesn't respond to the programmer. Is this more likely to be a faulty valve or cylinder stat and is there a straightforward way of checking this myself?

The bolier is a Potterton Suprima, i have read the manual etc and it doesn't help one bit, typical!

Thanks again for your help and advice.

plumberathome
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Hot Water seems to be continuosly on???

Post by plumberathome » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:56 pm

[quote="glowboy"]Hi,
SUGGEST YOU TURN DOWN CYLINDER STAT AND SEE IF VALVE SHUTS DOWN HOT WATER THEN YOU CAN ELIMINATE THE CYL STAT IF VAVE SHUTS OFF DHW SIDE
Thanks for the advice, and sorry yes i do mean motorised valves. I have had a good play with it, the motorised valve for the hot water side responds fine when i disconnect it, it is just when it is connected, is it possible it hasn't got enough power in it to shut valve?! I will have to get it checked out and dip my hand in my pocket.

The water thermostat is on around 60 degrees, yes the problem is basically the water valve is permanently open and doesn't respond to the programmer. Is this more likely to be a faulty valve or cylinder stat and is there a straightforward way of checking this myself?

The bolier is a Potterton Suprima, i have read the manual etc and it doesn't help one bit, typical!

Thanks again for your help and advice.[/quote]

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1