All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
iybyisyl
Labourer
Labourer

Hot water solar collector system refill/repressure

by iybyisyl » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi.
I have lived in this property for 4 years- for the first 3 years the solar collector system that services a hot water tank (only) has been fine.
This spring though there appears to be a problem that I could really use some help with please.
There is no pressure in the system that I can read on either of the two pressure gauges installed. This status is a function of my own naivety and crass attempts to refill via the type B drain cocks which have proven futile .
The 2nd attached picture is a crude drawing of the system which is closed loop, eventually I will refill with the appropriate percentage mixture.
My challenge though is how to break into the system to refill. Could I do this via and of the existing hardware (the Watts pressure relief valve perhaps) Picture 1 or should I consider a fill "T" off point just above the pump valve and then another on the return side prior to tank to enable system flush perhaps? If so what hardware fitting would you recommend please?

Any thoughts very much appreciated as I've had a quote for £360 to flush and refill + extras which isn't really an option for me at the moment.

Note* Pump operates well- No water drains off from either of the type B drain cocks. The Resol controller has all settings in line with the factory handbook and error code of T>50 is displayed which as understood means the temperature differential between sensor A (Panel on roof) and Sensor at Tank is greater than 50 Degrees .
Attachments
Watts Presure Valve.GIF
Solar Collector.GIF

iybyisyl
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Hot water solar collector system refill/repressure

by iybyisyl » Tue May 05, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi, a picture of the hot water tank and to the left the circulating pump for the solar collector. I am thinking of draining off the system, above the pump valve adding a compression "T" with a ball valve and then a piece of 15mm pipe such that I can attach a hose. Flush through using mains water (with NRV ), drain down again. Re pressure/check the pressure of the expansion vessel and then using something like a drill pump add the appropriate fluid/mix.Thoughts please?
Thanks
Attachments
solar pump.PNG

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:33 am