All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gb2010
Labourer
Labourer

Hot Water Tank - ELEC ELEMENT OR GAS?

by Gb2010 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:56 pm

HI Guys,

Im new to the forum SO A BIG Hello and sorry if this topic is in the wrong section.

My problem is that - My hot water supply is from a Copper cylinder Tank which is fed from two tanks in the loft (Indirect System I believe?) I believe the hot water in the system supplied from the Gas Boiler which ring true as when I turn the heating off in the summer No hot water. However there is switch next to my heating control that feeds upstairs to the copper tank and intern a what looks like a heating element? Why is this here?

Next ive checked the power supply to the switch which reads zero - wher can this usually be fed from??

Thanks,

GB

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:38 pm

The heating element you refer to is called an Immersion heater, and is used as a back up or for making hot water if the boiler fails or is switched off.

It should have an isolator in the airing cupboard next to the cylinder and should have a red light on it. Sometimes older systems had a control switch downstairs in the kitchen. The feed for this is directly from the fusebox ( a 15 amp blue fuse or 16 amp trip). Of course, if you have economy 7 (2 rate electric meter), the immersion circuit may be timed, and not come on until after 1am.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:11 am