DIY Doctor

Main navigation


Postby Gb2010 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:56 pm

HI Guys,

Im new to the forum SO A BIG Hello and sorry if this topic is in the wrong section.

My problem is that - My hot water supply is from a Copper cylinder Tank which is fed from two tanks in the loft (Indirect System I believe?) I believe the hot water in the system supplied from the Gas Boiler which ring true as when I turn the heating off in the summer No hot water. However there is switch next to my heating control that feeds upstairs to the copper tank and intern a what looks like a heating element? Why is this here?

Next ive checked the power supply to the switch which reads zero - wher can this usually be fed from??


Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:48 pm


Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:38 pm

The heating element you refer to is called an Immersion heater, and is used as a back up or for making hot water if the boiler fails or is switched off.

It should have an isolator in the airing cupboard next to the cylinder and should have a red light on it. Sometimes older systems had a control switch downstairs in the kitchen. The feed for this is directly from the fusebox ( a 15 amp blue fuse or 16 amp trip). Of course, if you have economy 7 (2 rate electric meter), the immersion circuit may be timed, and not come on until after 1am.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics