hotwater pump
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

hotwater pump

Post by greengrass » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:29 am

I've been told my hotwater pump has failed because it's sludged up.

A central heating pump can sludge up but I cannot accept the same with a hotwater circulation pump [bungalow its needed to get h/water to the kitchen 20mt from storage tank.].
The insurers say the engineer has equipment to test for sludge without having to remove the pump. I can't believe this is possible.
or is it? What do you experts think eh!.
I asked If I get an independant plumber to replace the pump and its found the old ones failure was due to electrical fault will they re-imburse my costs NO was the reply. Yet they won't carry out any work on this pump unless I pay them normal rates.......Insurers!! oh! British Gas. If BG was the only supplier I would install a woodburning stove to cook on.
Greengrass

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

circulation pump

Post by greengrass » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:27 pm

ADDITION TO POSTING.
The hot water pipes feeding the bathroom have to rise into the loft then across about 8ft then drop through cupboard in bedroom finally through wall to the taps but still has ooomph! in the flow compared to kitchen hot tap.

toneyt
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by toneyt » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:02 pm

are you referring to a bronze circulating pump?

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

hotwater pump

Post by greengrass » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:42 pm

Sorry should have said it is a Grundfos red in colour same or similar one to my old house central heating pump, but this one of course just circulates the hot water. I took the end cap off the impelar housing hoping I could turn the shaft with a screw driver but can't see a slot, plus it's not easy to get at. I have tested the cable from the control panel to the pump and found no current hot tap/s on or off. I was thinking on the lines of a 'Pressure switch' in the pump so when water drawn the pump activates, but if no current may be the fault is in the control panel.
The other thing is IS there equipment that tests for sludge without removing the pump? it think not myself.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Post by greengrass » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:42 pm

Thanks for replying but No toneyt it's a Grundfos pump red colour similar, or maybe, the same type that was fitted to my central heating in my previous house. Here its just for circulation of hot water to taps.

I'm thinking 'Pressure switch' in the pump, if it has then the cable feeding power to the pump should in theory be 'permanent live '.

Testing the cable from the control panel to the pump it gives no current reading whether hot taps are on or not.
My Theory now is if there is a pressure switch in the pump then something has gone wrong with the control panel pump connection hence no power. The tester works as I've tried it on known live cables..

Greengrass

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Post by greengrass » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:16 am

[quote="greengrass"]Thanks for replying but No toneyt it's a Grundfos pump red colour similar, or maybe, the same type that was fitted to my central heating in my previous house. Here its just for circulation of hot water to taps.

I'm thinking 'Pressure switch' in the pump, if it has then the cable feeding power to the pump should in theory be 'permanent live '.

Testing the cable from the control panel to the pump it gives no current reading whether hot taps are on or not.
My Theory now is if there is a pressure switch in the pump then something has gone wrong with the control panel pump connection hence no power. The tester works as I've tried it on known live cables..

Managed to see whats on pump with aid of mirror Grundfos selectric ups 15-50 it feeds the hot water out to taps and obivously only runs when hot taps operated, But now nothing. IF it has a pressure switch inside the pump then I would assume the current in the cable would be permanent and swich operates to complete circuit to pump motor when a hot tap is turned on. As above no current at all registers in cable. Some one said as there are two pump one is fighting the other and ones burnt out. They can't fight one another as they are on a seperate circuit and the hot water pump in my opinion could not sludge up, lime up maybe but sludge would show in the hot water throughout the system so every time a tap was turned on, pump working or not sludge would show in the water but its clear.
Greengrass[/quote]

toneyt
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by toneyt » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:11 pm

sounds strange,a bronze pump is yellow/gold in colour and delivers instan t water in houses with long water runs ,so idont think its that but from what you describe it sounds like someone has wired a switch onto a normal circulating pump,not heard of this before you sure that it boosts you h/water flow?

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

Post by jondeau » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:10 pm

For your information Greengrass.

The Grunfos selectric UPS 15-50 is a domestic circulator designed only to circulate water within a heating system.

There is no way that this pump would push hot water to your bathroom.

To move domestic water bronze pumps are used, and the Grunfos UPS 15-50 is certainly not a bronze pump.

Neither does this pump contain a pressure switch...

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1