House division
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
R1ck
Labourer
Labourer

House division

by R1ck » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:12 pm

Hello

I own a relatively large late 19C 4/5 bedroomed 2 storey house in a small village. The house is roadside, double fronted, on street parking and no garden. It has now been on the market for #330k for approximately 2yrs and has thus far only attracted 5 viewings I assume the previously mentioned restrictions + price is responsible for low interest!!!! As I would, obviously like to realise maximum price for the property I am now thinking of converting the house into 2 x two bed with kitchen and bathroom believing that two halves will be worth more than a whole!!???

Please discuss ......any views, experiences, advice etc will be gratefully received?

Thnx Rick

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:07 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

pmgltd
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pmgltd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Hi,

Firstly, you will need to discuss your proposals with the Local Planning Authority, they will be able to inform you whether they would welcome a planning application to sub-divide your property into two properties. Some planning authorities require the provision of off road car-parking, private amenity space, bin/cycle storage etc, when creating additional dwellings. Some authorities even request a financial contribution to assist maintaining open spaces and transport provisions - this sum of money can sometime amount to a few thousand pounds.

Assuming the planning department welcome your proposals, you will also need to consider achieving compliance with the Building Regulations. The properties should be sub-divided with 60 minute fire resisting and sound insulated construction. The existing thermal elements of the house (floor, walls, windows/doors and roofs) may need to be upgraded to achieve an improved thermal provision. Creating additional bathrooms/kitchens would require additional drainage provisions. Other regulations include smoke detectors, suitable means of escape, ventilation provisions, new boilers, etc.

Hope this helps

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:01 pm