DIY Doctor

Main navigation

House division

Postby R1ck » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:12 pm


I own a relatively large late 19C 4/5 bedroomed 2 storey house in a small village. The house is roadside, double fronted, on street parking and no garden. It has now been on the market for #330k for approximately 2yrs and has thus far only attracted 5 viewings I assume the previously mentioned restrictions + price is responsible for low interest!!!! As I would, obviously like to realise maximum price for the property I am now thinking of converting the house into 2 x two bed with kitchen and bathroom believing that two halves will be worth more than a whole!!???

Please discuss ......any views, experiences, advice etc will be gratefully received?

Thnx Rick
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Postby TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:07 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Postby pmgltd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:49 pm


Firstly, you will need to discuss your proposals with the Local Planning Authority, they will be able to inform you whether they would welcome a planning application to sub-divide your property into two properties. Some planning authorities require the provision of off road car-parking, private amenity space, bin/cycle storage etc, when creating additional dwellings. Some authorities even request a financial contribution to assist maintaining open spaces and transport provisions - this sum of money can sometime amount to a few thousand pounds.

Assuming the planning department welcome your proposals, you will also need to consider achieving compliance with the Building Regulations. The properties should be sub-divided with 60 minute fire resisting and sound insulated construction. The existing thermal elements of the house (floor, walls, windows/doors and roofs) may need to be upgraded to achieve an improved thermal provision. Creating additional bathrooms/kitchens would require additional drainage provisions. Other regulations include smoke detectors, suitable means of escape, ventilation provisions, new boilers, etc.

Hope this helps
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:25 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics