House repiars/extension - should I use surveyor or architect?
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chewbacca
Labourer
Labourer

House repiars/extension - should I use surveyor or architect?

by Chewbacca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:02 pm

Last post seemed to disappear and not post, new here hopefully posting in the right place.

Have damp issues and had some people come in a while back and got very different and confusing answers. Also need to get a new kitchen done and possible extension single or possible storey (no idea on cost or whether it would be possible to live in house whilst doing this)

Am contemplating whether I should get an architect or surveyor firm with design services to come in and do a report and quote for potential costs. Any idea whether that is a good approach and which would be better and how much that would cost?

Am not good at DIY but wish I was. Am interested in learning more about these kind of issues and general refurb and design and build and also some software that could be easily learned and allow basic house design and interiors to be mapped out. Any recommendations on books, websites or software would be appreciated.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: House repiars/extension - should I use surveyor or architect?

by welsh brickie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:59 pm

Use a local reliable builder with a good reputation, an architect or surveyor will only sub contract out the work. Only go with recommendations from people who have employed the builder in the past and inspect his work for yourself

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

by michaelbailey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:29 pm

no point in doing aything unti you getb the damp issues sorted

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:53 am

We have a section on how to Find a Tradesman which can help you with finding the right architect, builder and other professionals There's a button at the top of our page, or follow this link https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find-tradesmen/

You might also consider a design service like Pro Estimating services - see our product review here https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/product-rev ... review.htm

Good luck

Doc

simonelectric
Apprentice
Apprentice

by simonelectric » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:15 am

no point in doing aything unti you getb the damp issues sorted

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:56 pm