How Best to Repair Penetrating Damp Damage Through Plasterboard and Plaster
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Genista_99
Labourer
Labourer

How Best to Repair Penetrating Damp Damage Through Plasterboard and Plaster

by Genista_99 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Evening all from a newbie on here.

I live in a c. 1900 solid brick terraced house. A recently, within 18 months, plaster boarded and skimmed internal wall in our living room now has a nasty black stain appearing in the bottom of one corner just above skirting board height. I know this is damp related and have tracked down what I believe to be the source of the problem, the pointing directly behind the wall was knackered.

The pointing has now been re done and so hopefully will sort the underlying root cause of the problem. The plaster doesn't seem to have blown yet although is a little softer than normal. I.e I can make an indent with finger nail easier than at places where no damp. My questions are;

How best to dry out? - Leave to dry naturally, windows open, fan blowing on to it etc. Necessary to get a dehumidifier in? How long take to dry out?
When does dry out best way to re-decorate? - anti fungicidal wash, paint?
Should I just bite the bullet and cut the affected piece of plasterboard out and replace and re-skim? - prefer not to do this as mean pulling off oak skirting as well.

All advice gratefully received!!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How Best to Repair Penetrating Damp Damage Through Plasterboard and Plaster

by welsh brickie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:37 pm

try a de humidifier first, if its dried out then use a polyfiller on the area to repair the wall

Genista_99
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How Best to Repair Penetrating Damp Damage Through Plasterboard and Plaster

by Genista_99 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:53 pm

I thought may need a dehumidifier. As for the polyfilla, there's nothing to fill in. The wall is smooth as a babies bum!! (So far)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:19 am