How can I check if I already have insulated walls?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
starkraving
Labourer
Labourer

How can I check if I already have insulated walls?

Post by starkraving » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:48 am

Hi

My house was built 9 years ago and I'm pretty sure that the walls should have been insulated, but the house is very cold in winter. How can I check that the insulation has been done, and if it hasn't is there any form of redress? I only bought the house 2 years ago and do not have any warranties from the original (independent) builder.

Thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:28 pm

Now that its freezing find someone with a thermal imaging camera to take pictures of the outside.
This is very simple, but will cost.
This is the very best way to go as, there are often, very large gaps in the insulation and you need something to prove your point.

However, consider the possibility that the property is cold because the heating is not on long enough. Most heating systems should be able to raise the temperature in a room by about three degrees C per hour.
If you turn your heating off, as against just turning it down three or four degrees, then it will take time to heat the air in the rooms and then the walls and furniture, cold walls take a long time to heat up.

Or that there are holes in the walls, ceilings, round windows and doors that your heat is escaping through.

Or that the property is damp, damp walls, floors etc; damp soaks up heat, as a damp wall is always cold.

Do the easy no cost things first.

starkraving
Labourer
Labourer

Post by starkraving » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks Perry525

It may well be a case of not leaving the heating on long enough...I'll see what happens and how much iextra it costs (if it does cost extra...)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:08 am