How do I earth my shed's electrics ?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NOODLES
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do I earth my shed's electrics ?

by NOODLES » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:46 pm

:? I am building a brick shed , but need some advice with regards earthing the power to the shed , I will be installing a consumer unit to split lighting and power cables and puting in a rcd for added safety
cheers noodles
ps I am aware that my work will have to be checked by an approved electrician , but keen to do the work myself

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:06 pm

you need to speak to an electrician first. As you appear to be aware this is notifiable under part P, but very few electricians will sign of work that they haven't done, and you need to ensure it meets his requirements so he will sign it off rather than tell you to pull it all out and start again!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:27 pm

NOODLES
If you have pal who can sign it off that's great and he should be able to give you guidance on the installation as certain requirements need to be complied to.
As for having an electrician that is unknown to you signing it off, not sure about that as they then take the responsibility or that installation and maybe not be willing to that.
So other than that you need to notify your local building controls of the work you are carrying out and they will then visit on first and second fix.
Look on project pages for info on part p of build regs
and google "competentperson.co.uk"
But the answer to your question is that the cable suppling Line and Neutral to you shed will also contain a conductor called CPC (circuit protective conductor)
These conductors; Line, Neutral and CPC would normally be terminated between shed Consumer Unit and your house consumer unit, which is where it will pick up the earth connection from.
Any querries don't hesitate to reply.
KB

NOODLES
Apprentice
Apprentice

by NOODLES » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 pm

[quote="moggy1968"]you need to speak to an electrician first. As you appear to be aware this is notifiable under part P, but very few electricians will sign of work that they haven't done, and you need to ensure it meets his requirements so he will sign it off rather than tell you to pull it all out and start again![/quote]
Thanks for replying promptly, a friend of mine is a registered sparkie who is willing to let me do most of the work ( under his supervision so to speak)
NOODLES

NOODLES
Apprentice
Apprentice

earthing a shed

by NOODLES » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:01 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]NOODLES
If you have pal who can sign it off that's great and he should be able to give you guidance on the installation as certain requirements need to be complied to.
As for having an electrician that is unknown to you signing it off, not sure about that as they then take the responsibility or that installation and maybe not be willing to that.
So other than that you need to notify your local building controls of the work you are carrying out and they will then visit on first and second fix.
Look on project pages for info on part p of build regs
and google "competentperson.co.uk"
But the answer to your question is that the cable suppling Line and Neutral to you shed will also contain a conductor called CPC (circuit protective conductor)
These conductors; Line, Neutral and CPC would normally be terminated between shed Consumer Unit and your house consumer unit, which is where it will pick up the earth connection from.
Any querries don't hesitate to reply.
KB[/quote]
very informative , I am looking forward to doing the work
cheers
NOODLES

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:45 am