How do I fire proof a garage lintel
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
barneybear
Labourer
Labourer

How do I fire proof a garage lintel

by barneybear » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:18 pm

Can anyone tell me how to fire proof a garasge lintel that has a bedroom above? What do I buy, how is cut and how is it fixed into place? Can it then be painted or covered afterwards?
Many thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:23 am

Is it an RSJ or concrete?

barneybear
Labourer
Labourer

lintel fireproofing

by barneybear » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:11 am

The lintel is steel with polysteryne insert for insulation. There is a long one at the front for the garage door and a short one at the back for the single exit door.
Brick construction for the walls.
Ceiling of garage has been covered by thick plasterboard and building inspector is happy with that. But my builders just stuck plastic fascia board to the underside of the lintels and inspector has said it must come off and be replaced.
But builders have gone bust and I can't get anyone out to such a small job.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:40 pm

Your lintel wants coating with a fire resitant paint such as bitumen paint or it's like.
I assume there is a concrete lintel in front(external to garage) of RSJ or brick/block work.
You then need to build a frame around RSJ so you can fix plasterboard, the pink boards you will need one single board covering, with the standard boards you need to double board, but controls like to see the pink stuff.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1